Saturday, October 2, 2010

The one that never happened..

From beaches to eat outs, parks to movies we had exhausted every part of the city. All that was left out was probably our houses! She was my high school sweet heart and 5 years down, she still remains. Late night texting, silent slip outs from our houses, bike rides and kutti kutti romances and pranks were in complete dominance of our relation. I felt these always added value to the relation, making it more enjoyable and memorable. We shared so much yet gave each other their own personal space leaving no room for envy or possessiveness. I felt so matured handling this relation and she too felt the same. We always wanted to make the big step, time being the only hurdle. Optimistically speaking, we had more (and enough) time to understand each other.

What seemed like an opulent present became a horrid past. Texting over the last few weeks lacked smileys. She never really wanted to meet me or involve herself in a conversation. Every other reply was either “hmmm” or “k”. I felt like falling into the rabbit hole like Alice..just that the other end was not a wonderland. In the 5 yrs I thought she was reaching for my heart, I dint realize she was going to pull it out and rout it with her tender hands. The very image left me gasping for my breath. I decided to walk straight up to her and demand a reason. All along, I was reassuring myself it ought to be the biggest prank she ever played on me. Poor me, I honestly thought she would tender an apology. On the way, I happened to see this guy staring at his mobile, deeply involved in texting someone, probably his girlfriend. In the plight I was, I badly wanted to call him and make him wary of the nature of girls. (to the fellow females: that thought was more of situation centric rather than an opinion per se).So occupied was he that had it not been for my timely yell, he would have been a smear of blood and cytoplasm on the face of the lorry. He profusely thanked me and got back to his own world again. I smiled to myself thinking, 4 yrs from now, he’s gonna come and tell me “i would have preferred the lorry to the girl”.

While I was walking through the streets, I was able to associate every spot with a time well spent with her. I dint know whether I was happy to recollect those or sad that I can only recollect them. Tears streamed out and with my heart teeming with resentment I picked myself up and paced up to her place. As I approached her door, I prepared myself rehearsing all the questions. I cleared my throat and called out her name. The door opened and what awaited me was a heartbreak. Arms in arms, with the same guy I had saved some time back, I could see her having the time of her life, sadly the one I couldn’t give. I realized that the biggest prank in the relation was not what I hoped, but the relation itself. I was speechless and left immediately, failing to see her face shrink like a week old potato. A momentary smile crept up my face, with the image of the guy telling me…


”I would have preferred the lorry to the girl”

No comments: